Calhoun County, West Virginia
Annamoriah Bridge is located between Grantsville and Elizabeth on WV RT 5. The original five-span steel girder structure was built in 1956 by W.R. Orders and Son and replaced a ferry crossing on the little Kanawha River. This structure was special to the Orders family in that it was the project that brought a young Robert Orders Sr. and his lovely wife and children back to West Virginia. With such a history it seems only fitting that 56 years later we would win the design build project to replace a structure built by our family.
The successful design utilized innovative and economical alternatives which saved West Virginia tax payers over three million dollars when compared to the original WVDOH Engineers estimate. One such alternative was to use the existing bridge as temporary traffic control during construction, thus eliminating the need to install a traditional temporary crossing. Also, the new curved structure greatly reduced the amount of earthwork required for approaches. Piers were set out of the ordinary high water mark, thereby providing a more efficient hydraulic cross-section which reduces build-up of debris. Integral abutments eliminated the need for expansion joints which will continue to save the state substantial money on future maintenance. Construction was completed two months ahead of schedule and the history between the Orders family and the Annamoriah Bridge in Calhoun County continues.
Challenges: Design-build bridge